February 12, 2007
I recently got this email:
My problem isn’t deleting addresses but not adding them. I seem to have Tbird set such that any new replies get added to the address book. I’d rather put all new entries in manually (mostly because ‘m a lecturer and don’t need all my students’ emails in my address book). I can’t seem to find a way to unset this. Can you help?
After poking around, I think I found what you would need to stop adding entries to your address book automatically.
- Open Thunderbird
- Go to:
- On a Mac: Thunderbird > Preferences
- On Windows: Tools > Options
- Go to the Composition tab
- Uncheck that last checkbox that says “Automatically add outgoing e-mail addresses to my:”.
This should stop adding addresses to your Collected Address or Personal Address Book when you reply to an email.
November 29, 2006
Ok, I normally don’t post tips about using an extension, but this one is too good to pass up, and I’ve had a bunch of people asking…
So you want to export a one of your lists and send them to someone else? The easiest way to do that would be to use a vCard group and attach it to an email to that person. Unfortunately, Thunderbird doesn’t support vCards, at least not without an extension. Fortunately, a developer has made an extension for Thunderbird (named MoreCols) that allows Thunderbird to import, export, and use vCards. If you download and install that extension (see this post for instructions), it will allow you to follow these instructions:
- Open Thunderbird and click on the Address Book icon at the top
- Click on the list/group you want to export
- Go to Tools > Actions for Lists > Export as VCF
- You can also right click (option-click for Macs) and go to Export as VCF
- This will open a Finder/Explorer window asking you where to save the file. Save the file in an easy to find location (like the desktop)
- Close the Address Book and click on the Write button
- Attach the file to this new email and ship it off to your buddy.
September 25, 2006
If you want to remove someone from a list, click on that list, click on the person’s name you want to delete, and hit the Delete button at the top. This will remove them from the list…it will not delete from the address book.